Monday, July 21, 2008

Twitter - Want to Let the World Know What You're Eating Right Now?

There is a relatively new Website taking the world by storm. Twitter!. The purpose of the site is to let the world know what little things you do throughout the day. For example you can log into your Twitter account during breakfast and let your followers know what you're eating. If you're settling down to watch a DVD, you can let the world know what movie you're going to check out. Who will read your postings? Your followers, other Twitter members who choose to keep track of your actions. You've either let them know about your Twitter page or they found you by searching.

I found a great article on Twitter here

I've even gone ahead and created my own account so I can try and figure out why people use the site, although I can't think of anything more boring than writing about the mundane things I do throughout the day. Actually I can....READING about them.

I did a search on my last name and found a page from a Jeff Schwarz of Tucson, Arizona. He used Twitter on and off for about two months earlier this year. Here's a link to his entries: https://twitter.com/JeffSchwarz Reading through his postings makes you wonder how the site is popular! Jeff is going to mirror SQL Servers? Stop the presses! It's possible his friends, family and co-workers care, but it's worthless info to a complete stranger.

Anyway, if you want to try out Twitter and write about it here, go ahead and create an account and start posting about your experience. You can also let us know your user name so we can find you on Twitter by searching for you.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Professor this has got to be the funniest web site yet. I mean are they trying to be the next myspace or the next facebook with people trying to get as many followers as possible?? To strangers most of the members microblogs about relatively nothing mean nothing. It is quite funny thought to read some of these postings. People tell you everything you dont need to know. Its kinda cool, in a way because its like being able to read peoples minds but do people realy care? Or is this site just to see how popular one can be??

jbnj07 said...

All I can say is CREEPY.

GwenniePlaza said...

Well, maybe I can start a nursing student twitter! It can be a way to relieve some stress,share experiences after a long & exciting clinial day. I think other pre-nursing students will appreciate the insight of those in the makings of a RN.I know when browsing the twitter sight, I hope I bump into a nursing student's daily grind.

Beth Spinner said...

Oh wow. Some people have wayyy too much time on their hands. This is quite creepy, and the only people I think that would be interested would have stalker mentalities; so why go ahead and help them with their delusions.

gina said...

This site is a complete waste of time. I agree Beth only a staker would want to follow a stranger's life.

Unknown said...

Are people in this fast paced world so desperate to have some fame or attention that they make fairly anomous writings. Are people that needy?

Steve Schwarz said...

@Theresa,

Everybody wants to feel important.

I read that some major company announcements have been leaked on Twitter before reaching the traditional media outlets. In these few instances, Twitter serves a real purpose.

Anonymous said...

This is just another excuse to creep on others lives. I truly don't understand why people enjoy reading about others lives. Especially, if you don't know the person. I think many of these weblogs like myspace, facebook, and many others are a sad excuse for communication. People are losing their communication skills because they do not know how to communicate face to face anymore. If you think about it, it makes sense. It gives easy access for stalkers to creep on their victims. It causes misunderstandings because one cannot tell through textual evidence the type of emotion a person is conveying.

This site is pointless. Sad excuse for a hobby, too. This may be a reason why people are over weight, too. Too much time is devoted to the computer. Instead, why don't you partake in an activity that requires physical exertion. just a thought.

melissa_connolly said...

you have to be kidding me right? I can't even understand the logic in having a myspace or a face book and posting your information on the internet for everyone to see. I think it is absolutely nuts that someone would post up every little detail about their lives. I think the people that use this website are obviously very very bored with their lives and honestly I think its pathetic.

Diana_Petrone said...

I think this is so stupid. Nobody cares what they are thinking or doing. Well at least I dont care. I can't believe these people actually take time out of their day to write stuff. I wish I had that kind of extra time on my hands.

Larry Doyle said...

I think that this twitter website is a total waste of anybody’s time. It is kind of weird that you can log on to the website and let people know what you are eating for breakfast for example. People that have this much time on their hands should do something more worthwhile.

Amy Cohen said...

seems like a waste of time-maybe it would be fun if i had spare time.